Wednesday, June 24, 2009

War of the Philosophers

War of the Philosophers

My dear sire, I must confess
I find your case ridiculous
You claim there's truth that's absolute
but all these things I can refute.

For instance, take that maple tree
Its size is relative to me.
Decisions based on what I see
help make me act accordingly.

If I see no tree, very well
It does not live within my realm
with no evidence, why believe?
unless shown to the contrary

It's truth to me, can I be blamed
for ignorance's wily claims?
My truth may yet be wrong for you,
You stubbed the tree with your left shoe.

You believe from experience
A real run-in with providence.
Denied I was this lofty claim
So shall I rot in sinful shame?

Nay, that would be illogical.
How can God choose to lose my soul?
He would present Himself to me
if He wanted me to believe.

Well, what have you to say to me?
Is there an argument to see?

Sir, I have listened to your speech
I find relative thought quite bleak.
You would suggest that faith is sight
So by your claims, darkness is light

As long as you believe it so
consequences are what you know.
I cannot fathom death at all
Might I jump off Niagara Falls?

I will not taste pain, fear or death
for I don't see its existence.
But methinks we can all agree;
Death is set for every being.

Furthermore, what of the statement
"No absolutes; all truth is bent"
With your own reasoning you prove
your logic lives in absolutes.

You claim disbelief in my Lord
because He shows no neon board.
But tell me, if you have not seen
How do you know you don't believe?

After all, how can man doubt trees
if desert plain is all he sees?
Perhaps I instilled thought of God
But morality is the Law

All humans first know right from wrong
before singing subjective song
Surely the thought does not exist
Unless a force presented it.

So forgive me as I say with glee
Your relative truth is absolutely unrelative to me.

4 comments:

  1. HeWhoHasEars, that was wonderful! Sometimes I find it odd, that people believe Christians can sin. I don't believe that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's interesting MTN! I never thought to analyze it from the perspective of a typical modern church-goer and a holiness believer. Hah, I love poetry. The writer can learn just as much from the reader as the reader learns from the writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What did I say? I was just saying I believe in holiness, like we discuss over at the DIOM forums.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My bad, dear friend! I just got confused. =)

    ReplyDelete