Thursday, June 25, 2009

No Greater Love

I have no hesitation in saying that the plot of this poem was inspired directly by God a year and a half ago. I did not know how to "get it out", so to speak, so I settled on writing a poem. One day I would love to make a novel or play out of it, but I would rather this important and controversial topic stay in the limelight now. Human life is too precious to avoid or put off until more "convenient" times. I hope and pray that this poem will raise important issues and provide an opportunity for self-reflection for all of my readers. Soli Deo Gloria.


No Greater Love


A godlier couple none could find here
than the young Whittingers, wholesome and true.
Obeying the Lord through His holy grace,
they worshiped the Trinity through and through.

The wife was Lorelei, a priceless gem,
a woman of many faith-filling deeds,
She served her town in Christ's manner of love
and fulfilled all of her dear husband's needs.

Jakob, the husband, a God-fearing man,
served humbly with love to all in his life
His example revealed the heart of Christ;
submission to God and loving his wife.

Their love was selfless like medieval tales,
full of purity, honor, and strength too,
All who witnessed their gentle caresses
knew with no doubt true love sustained and grew.

Overjoyed were their hearts with the good news
that young Lorelei's womb carried a child,
a new life the Whittingers yearned to raise
with tender love and Truth undefiled.

Every morning and night Jakob knelt down
to tenderly kiss the still growing life.
He'd whisper "We love you and the Lord too"
and lovingly embrace his glowing wife.

The time came for the doctor's first visit
to check the baby and Lorelei's health
"Everything's fine and the baby is safe,
all’s according to plan -- you're well yourself."

The loving couple held hands and smiled
praising the Lord for the blessings bestowed
for knowing all good things come from above,
humbles the heart and helps faith down the road.

The second big visit for them came 'round
and this time the news was not quite so good
"I'm sorry – you’re fine but your child is not;
The life it will lead is not what it should."

The worried couple linked arms and replied,
"Our child was just fine, how bad can this be?
What changed for worse, was it something we did?"
"No, this disease is Trisomy 18."

With compassion the doctor continued,
"Your child’s life will be lacking much mirth,
the heart, mind, kidneys will fail in a year,
or else the child will die before birth."

"There is a difficult choice to be made,
keep or abort the child, but it will die."
With pity, he left the couple in peace,
to adjust to the horrid news and cry.

At once to their Savior they prayed in tears,
"Lord Jesus, take this soul if it’s Your will,
we will praise you even then – but please Lord,
heal our baby and give life to fulfill!"

The next time the doctor came they answered,
"We cannot in good faith abort this child,
there is always hope for a miracle,
giving up would be our faith defiled."

The doctor understood and prepared them,
and encouraged them to take it in stride
for many expectations could go wrong,
but his promise was to be by their side.

"Thank you, dear doctor, the Lord bless your life,
we love your honesty and compassion.
Whether or not this child is to die,
we will still live in a holy fashion."

So the Whittingers pressed on, still joyful,
tainted by the unknown of tomorrow,
they sang to their child and prayed for life,
though their hearts wept in expectant sorrow.

"Have faith," their friends told them, hugging them hard,
"Disease is cruel but the Lord has seen worse."
"Thank you for your support, but we have faith,
our reality just plagues like a curse."

Lorelei would not shop without Jakob
she could not bear to meet strangers alone,
she fought temptation to covet children
and held back tears with her mom on the phone.

"Blessed wife, take strength in the Lord's vast grace,
and please find comfort in my loving arms,
I love you no matter what happens here,
and I'll protect your heart from Satan's charms."

"Oh husband, I thank you for your support,
the love you shower on me and our babe,
I praise God daily, for you are a gift,
a fine father you'll make on that great day."

The embraced couple rained tears from their eyes,
mixed with joy, sorrow, and expectant prayers.
They prayed God would take away the child's pain
for they did not know how her comfort fared.

Days turned to weeks and the weeks into months
Lorelei felt pains and she was doctored
"It’s too premature for the baby's time,
a tear in the placenta has occurred."

He said, with a grave look, wringing his hands,
"Rethink abortion, she’s destined to die,
this is my firm medical opinion
for I fear this birth may claim your wife."

"Faithless men dictate this with their logic,
what says your heart, my dear doctor, my friend?"
He could not face such an angel in pain
he gave them some names of women in mend.

The first woman was once in a like state,
but aborted with sorrow and resolve.
"He was brain dead and bad was my health,
I have three children whose lives I revolve."

"Did you regret it?" asked Lorelei still,
"Yes, but if in vain I gave birth and died,
my husband would have a brain dead child
no wife to raise him, no heart for a bride."

The next woman could not bear to abort.
Her child lived for nearly two long years
before the poor parents were left to grieve,
"But truth be told, my health was not a fear."

Conflicted, she thought “what would Jesus do?”
She wept and considered his sacrifice,
"Lord, give me faith to do as you command,
for with holy blood you paid for our lives."

With peace she spoke to her loving husband,
"My darling, I know now what I must do.
We cannot allow doubt to hinder us."
"I agree, love, no abortion for you."

Then suddenly, an unbearable pain
seized her and brought her shaking to her knees,
"Jakob, love, the baby is arriving!"
He pulled her upright quick and grabbed the keys.

He rushed to the hospital and ran in,
she was screaming, shuddering and too pale,
"Somebody, please help us! Get the doctor,
My wife's in pain!" he explained in a wail.

The staff rushed to her side with a wheelchair,
"Breathe, Lorelei, breathe, everything's all right,"
The doctor ran to them with a clean smock,
ready to help her deliver all night.

The painful labor and horrible cries
seemed difficult at too early a stage.
Jakob prayed to God for a miracle,
for his wife was lost in a pain-filled daze.

Whimpers and blood poured quick out of her now
with no sign of a child, dead or alive.
They planned a C-Section to help them through
for at this rate neither one would survive.

The doctor came outside, shielding his voice,
"Jakob, I have terrible news," he cried,
"I can save one but the other will die.
Tonight, right now, you will have to decide."

He fell to his knees, hands raised to Heaven,
"Father, hear my plea! This I cannot do!
Do not ask me to pick my wife or child,
They are my life! Choose for me Lord, please choose."

He lay weeping and prostrate on the floor
Lifting his prayers up above when he heard
A singular voice, strong and determined,
Passionately spoke only these three words:

"Save my child! Save my child!"

4 comments:

  1. Poems don't usually make me tear up. This one did.

    Very powerful and moving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So this is your epic poem? It brought tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly what you mean. Every time I thought about this story plot it made me cry, let alone write it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was beautiful, I'm thinking about crying now. Well written.

    ReplyDelete