Saturday, May 23, 2009

Change of Heart: Part 3 -- The Promises of God

Dear friends,

I tried my best to explain the Problem, Truth, and Stumbling Blocks with Scriptural evidence and world application. Tonight I will "tie the knot" by focusing on the Results of Applied Truth -- what happens when humans change through the power of Jesus. At the same time I hope to open a can of worms by asking a question I cannot satisfactorily answer: "If you can only be truly trustworthy with Jesus, is it wise to trust non-Christians?"

The question of trusting non-Christians (or even so-called Christians) depends entirely on a case-by-case basis. Certainly, I can make sweeping judgments about the evilness of such sinners (indeed sin is evil no matter how big or small), but then I would only be contributing to the original Problem God pointed out to me. I do not want to contribute to the cynicism of this age by teaching humans cannot change for the better, but I do want to be smart and encourage the guarding of hearts until Jesus comes into a non-Christian's life.

Trust permeates all areas of life, from anything as simple as trusting that your friend closed your locker properly to trusting someone with your life. There are varieties of trustworthiness in non-Christians and so-called Christians as well. Over time I have learned who has a trustworthy spirit. Thankfully, I do not have many examples of non-Christians I cannot trust at all. Most of the non-Christians I know are kind and thoughtful people who work hard and love me for who I am. No dramatic conversion story of a famed drug addict here.

I can trust Person X to tell me when I look fat and I can trust Person Z to drive safely. I do not, however, automatically trust Person X and Z's spiritual advice. Do I listen respectfully and consider their spiritual advice? Yes. But more often than not, I cannot follow their advice when it significantly affects my spiritual life. It would be unfair of me to expect that their advice would be as Biblically sound as my pastor's. 1 Corinthians 2:14-15 says "A natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are Spiritually appraised. But he who is spiritual appraises all things, yet he himself is appraised by no one." That may ring as true for you as it does for me! I cannot tell you how many times a well-meaning friend or family member has told me to do something that I know blatantly disobeys God's Word. It may be as simple as being recommended a "funny" (raunchy) film or being told that I am sexually repressed and ought to express myself before I spontaneously combust.

We have to be able to judge when to trust people. Jesus gives us a clue here: "So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire." Matthew 7:17-19 God is the only one who can truly know a person's heart, but that person's actions can reveal a lot about their heart to us. We should take care in trusting humans, for "The heart is more deceitful than all else/ and is desperately sick;Who can understand it?" Jeremiah 17:9

Some of you might be upset that I assert we ought to judge people's actions, but let me try to explain myself. 'Do not judge' is probably the most misused and misapplied passage I have ever heard in my life. It would be ridiculous if people blindly follow others without using discernment of character, but we are not supposed to judge a person's salvation and say they are permanently damned. Does this sound familiar? Refer to the Problem: "Humans have been scorned so often they tend to believe people cannot permanently change for the better; as a result, most expect and model failure and distrust for future generations." We need to be able to judge whether a person needs God or not and if we can trust them. This does not give us free reign to call out a person's sin as often as we please, mind. Use discretion when speaking out against sin. If you are in the presence of sin, dissuade it in the most appropriate manner possible, whether that is with a calm "hey, I don't think you should say that" or a flat-out rebuke to Satan. Just remember, lovingly judge their character, not their salvation.

Jesus judged the deceitfulness of human hearts, and yet He intentionally placed Himself in their midst. "Jesus was going through all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every kind of disease and every kind of sickness. Seeing the people, He felt compassion for them, because they were distressed and dispirited like sheep without a shepherd. Then He said to His disciples,'The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few.'" Matthew 9:35-37 I love this passage about Jesus because it highlights his compassion. He judged their characters and knew they were lost, yet He reacted by showing them love. Even though we cannot completely trust non-Christians in certain ways, we always need to be showing them compassion and love, revealing to them the ways Christ has transformed our once deceitful hearts. They will see the light in us! Some may resent it or try to sabotage it, but they cannot help but see.

The Truth that people see is God's Truth, His promise, which is "if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come." 2 Corinthians 5:17 God changes us permanently in His image! When you fully realize the Truth and apply it to your life, you will change the world. I'm not even kidding.

If you were once a sinner and have now been saved by the shed blood of the Lamb, your light will shine forth in darkness and you will shatter society's conventions and transform the ideas and ideals of men. Walk boldly in Christ in your school and your peers will follow suit. Pretty soon your whole school will be transformed by the ideals of Christ, whether they convert or not. Now imagine all of the Christian undergraduates moving on to graduate school and in the work force. Christ's light will shine in all the world. This is God's promise, that He will bring redemption and transformation to all who seek His kingdom and righteousness!

Can I get a Hallelujiah?!

The more light we shine, the more the darkness tries in vain to fight. The Lord has already won the war, my friends; we are on the winning side! We must stand our ground and fight for the name of our Lord God. We must attack sin as hard as it attacks us. Apply the Truth and beauty of God's Word and let your light shine!

2 comments:

  1. that second to last paragraph sounded vaguely familiar...now where would i have heard that concept before? hahaha

    ReplyDelete